Friday, October 27, 2006

Deodat's Descendants

One of my ongoing efforts in my own genealogical research has been a descendancy project. I've been trying to find all of the descendants of Deodat Brewster and Lois Drury (my GGGGGGGParents). Yesterday we added a descendancy view capability to the FamilySearch Labs site and used a portion of Deodat's descendancy as a sample file to look at. Take a look and let us know what you think.

I was thrilled the first time I pulled up Deodat's descendancy in the viewer and started looking around at (what seem like) familiar friends. I don't know why more people don't do descendancy research. Pursuing ancestors is a very 'western' approach to genealogy. There are many cultures around the world that have a hard time thinking of genealogy outside of the descendancy of an honored ancestor. After all, it doesn't start from me and go back, it starts from them and comes down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great way to view my maternal ggfather's descendants (1500), especially all the collateral family members that I don't spend much time researching. I liked the way that the link I clicked on gave an immediate colored link, in both directions, no matter where I was on the screen. This is really exciting and fun, being able to test products in the lab enironment. Thanks for your efforts and your informational blog,
Wayne Horscroft

Mormon Audit and Doctrinal Analysis said...

--------------------
Quote:
I was thrilled the first time I pulled up Deodat's descendancy in the viewer and started looking around at (what seem like) familiar friends. I don't know why more people don't do descendancy research. Pursuing ancestors is a very 'western' approach to genealogy. There are many cultures around the world that have a hard time thinking of genealogy outside of the descendancy of an honored ancestor. After all, it doesn't start from me and go back, it starts from them and comes down.
---------------------------
I agree 100%. My theoretical work and prototype work is based on this insight. To me the most important thing is that duplicates can be crushed forever, and people can finally cooperate with amazing effectiveness once this mental adjustment has occurred.

Anonymous said...

Hi I don't know if you still check these comments but I am one of Deodat's descendants who is currently working on the family tree. (Barnes side from Sarah). If you could kindly post some of the records proving Sarah is Deodat's child I would truly appreciate it. I am considering joining daughters of the Mayflower and need all of my "ducks in a row", so to speak. Thank you.
Monica

Dan Lawyer said...

I hope Monica comes back to look. I haven't looked at comments for a while because I had an e-mail address change. I'm usually much more responsive.

Here is one meaningful record. This is a link to a page in Deodat Brewster's probate file. I'm sure I have the source info in my records if you need it. You should be able to follow the link and then browse through the whole probate file.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dclawyer/52152254/sizes/o/in/set-1131546/